Saturday, March 28, 2009

I miss Upstate NY

Or more what it represented. My parents separated when I was 13. My mom, though, never skipped a beat. She worked some ungodly hours, but always found time to do everything with us. I was heavily involved with our high school band. I know, nerd, right. But it was a great outlet me for the not so athletic type. I was always the last to get picked, if you know what I mean. Anyways, being from a military family ( both my parents, uncle and 2nd cousin was in the Marines) if seemed seamless for me to join a marching band. We worked some god awful hours, but thankfully we were close to my school. My mom, though, never failed to be there for all our shows, and eventually, since she was so beautiful, did our makeup for us. I can't think of the words to thank my mom for us being there. I wish I could do the same for my kids ( but that is a whole 'nother post)
My mom also used to take us to Syracuse University to watch the basketball games. We were addicted from the first time we entered the Carrier Dome, to see the Syracuse Orangemen play. I have to say, for a girl, I still love watching them play. She took us religiously, to see them play. I think back now, I know she didn't really have the money, but somehow she found a way to take us.
She also got us SO hooked on skiing, which in NY is a good thing. Since it's snowing most of the year there. So, I exaggerate, but it did snow a lot. Too much, but what else do you do there? Even when she was dog tired from working the graveyard shift, she dragged us to the slopes to ski. What a trooper she was. See, I told you I had an awesome family!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome! Good two posts mom. I was wondering the other day where I learned all of these traits that I commonly call upon, especially during difficult times, then I remembered it was you. The gentler, free spirited habits passed down to me from you! I love it and am ever thankful for those lessons you taught by being and believing!!

    ReplyDelete